Friday, February 22, 2008

a fresh reminder


Our cultural theme this week at school was to talk to people and find out what their customs and traditions are in Costa Rica.  I was very saddened to hear about a lot of the religious traditions that are celebrated year round in CR.  One is a trek  that Costa Rican's make from all over the country to a certian Bascillica in Cartago,  some of them start this trek one week in advance because then come walking from very far away and then once they enter Cartago they walk on their knees to the Bascillica  (of the angels) in order to show how repentent they are and to beg for a favour for the angels.  This is repeated through out the year as every neighbourhood has a different patron saint and when it is their week they all do this similar celebration and beg that paticular saint for whatever it is they are needing, mercy, strength or healing.  I was really disturbed about this as my friend Lorena told me passionately about how her family participates in this.  I went to bed feeling discouraged thinking if only they were not blinded and realized they are children of the LIVING God they do not need to beg and show their earnestness for compassion, not to mention they are not even coming to him, they are going to angels and saints.  How much harder is their life that they do not have freedom to just share their heart like a child to their father who is always listening and always with them.  Instead they are trying to earn something that they can never earn.  They have a heavy weight over them that keeps them from seeking God because they are deceived into thinking their help comes from traditions that only serve dead people not a living God.
When I woke up the next morning I prayed and asked, how in the world do we speak into this I am not even sure how to talk about this with my friend.  AND THEN...
2 Corinthians 10:3-4 was brought to my mind.
"for though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does, the weapons we fight with are not the weapons of this world.  On the contrary they have divine power to demolish strongholds.  
No task is hopeless when it is done with divine power, only God has the power to demolish strongholds, which is what these people are living in, But by God's grace he can reveal himself to them he can break down their idols, he can open their eyes to the truth.
That is the power that we are walking in, not our own authority, how can he not pour out his power and touch lives.
I needed a good reminder!
by the way the picture is of my and my nephew Sam! He mailed himself to me!!! I love that boy.
Sandra

1 comment:

Meg Baxter said...

Wow, Sandra. What an encouragement you must be to those around you. God's is BIG indeed, and it's obvious He resides in you and your family. As the verse from Corinthians says, you have been given the sword (Word of God) that has the divine power to demolish strongholds. Stay strong!